Purgessimo: the fortress
Over the centuries, the area where the ruins of the castle of Gronumbergo stands has always been of great strategic relevance for control of the whole territory.
Indeed, since prehistoric times the point at the confluence of the Natisone River with the Alberone tributary has always been populated by the valley inhabitants because of the many advantages of that area:
• unlimited supply of water: two rivers providing transport and food
• control of the valley, the borders and the plain
• the possibility of imposing a toll to let people cross the ford
The castle is first mentioned under the name of Grunenberg in a document dated 1160.
Castelmonte - Masarolis
The Stages of the Way
- Prologue: Barbana - Aquileia
- 1. Aquileia - Aiello del Friuli
- 2. Aiello del Friuli - Cormons
- 3. Cormons - Castelmonte
- 4. Castelmonte - Masarolis
- 5. Masarolis - Montemaggiore
- 6. Montemaggiore - Rifugio A.N.A.
- 7. Rifugio A.N.A. - Prato di Resia
- 8. Prato di Resia - Dogna
- 9. Dogna - Valbruna
- 10. Valbruna - Monte Lussari