Masarolis: the caged lion
In the main square of Masarolis there is a fountain that features a caged lion on its peak. The story goes that the inhabitants of this village asked the local authorities to build a fountain and a water main to avoid the struggle of walking to distant springs to collect water.
But not only was the request rejected: the authorities even thwarted the inhabitants' efforts. But the undaunted inhabitants didn't back down and after many battles in 1895 they managed to complete the construction of the fountain. And the caged lion on top of the fountain represents the defeated local authorities.
Castelmonte - Masarolis
The Stages of the Way
- Prologue: Barbana - Aquileia
- 1. Aquileia - Aiello del Friuli
- 2. Aiello del Friuli - Cormons
- 3. Cormons - Castelmonte
- 4. Castelmonte - Masarolis
- 5. Masarolis - Montemaggiore
- 6. Montemaggiore - Rifugio A.N.A.
- 6bis. Var. Montemaggiore - Val Torre
- 7. Rifugio A.N.A. - Prato di Resia
- 8. Prato di Resia - Dogna
- 9. Dogna - Valbruna
- 10. Valbruna - Monte Lussari