Cormons, once a Longobard stronghold under the name of Castrum Cormones, was the seat of the Patriarchs of Aquileia from 610 to 737, during the Three Chapter Controversy.
The town stood between Cividale and Pons Sontii, on the way from Aquileia to the Pannonia: a strategic position.
During the 12th century in Cormons there was the hospice of St. Quirinus, managed by the Templars. For a long time the town was disputed by the Venetians who finally took control between the 15th and 16th centuries. But in the end, in 1521, Cormons came under the rule of the Austrian Empire and was part of it until the Great War.
Aiello - Cormons
The Stages of the Way
- Prologue: Barbana - Aquileia
- 1. Aquileia - Aiello del Friuli
- 2. Aiello del Friuli - Cormons
- 3. Cormons - Castelmonte
- 4. Castelmonte - Masarolis
- 5. Masarolis - Montemaggiore
- 6. Montemaggiore - Rifugio A.N.A.
- 7. Rifugio A.N.A. - Prato di Resia
- 8. Prato di Resia - Dogna
- 9. Dogna - Valbruna
- 10. Valbruna - Monte Lussari