english deutsch italiano español slovenščina furlan

Brazzano: church of San Giorgio

The first report about the church of San Giorgio (St. George) dates back to 1093. It was a pieve, a rural church with a baptistery upon which other churches depended. In this place there was a fortification to control the valley of the Iudrio River opening towards the plain.

The castle is mentioned in official documents of 1257 when it was destroyed by Count Mainardo of Gorizia, in conflict with the patriarch Gregorio of Montelongo.