Castelmonte: the staircase
The stone statue of the Virgin Mary with the Christ Child by an unknown Slovenian sculptor stands in the Sanctuary of Castelmonte. It dates back to circa 1479, when it was blessed. The stone sculpture is part of the Baroque altar commissioned to Alessandro Tremignon in 1684.
The Sanctuary of the Beata Vergine del Monte (the Blessed Virgin of the Mount is first mentioned in a document dated 1175. The Sanctuary first belonged to the Provost of the church of Santo Stefano di Cividale and then passed on to the Chapter of the Church of Santa Maria (St. Mary).
Cormons - Castelmonte
The Stages of the Way
- Prologue: Barbana - Aquileia
- 1. Aquileia - Aiello del Friuli
- 2. Aiello del Friuli - Cormons
- 3. Cormons - Castelmonte
- 4. Castelmonte - Masarolis
- 5. Masarolis - Montemaggiore
- 6. Montemaggiore - Rifugio A.N.A.
- 7. Rifugio A.N.A. - Prato di Resia
- 8. Prato di Resia - Dogna
- 9. Dogna - Valbruna
- 10. Valbruna - Monte Lussari