Monte Santo di Lussari: the statue of the Virgin Mary
Legend has it that back in 1360 a young shepherd from Camporosso found some sheep near a dwarf mountain pine bush. Coming closer to the bush he saw that there stood a statue of the Virgin Mary with the Christ Child.
So he took it and brought it to the parish priest. But the statue appeared three more times in that place, on top of the mountain.
So the Patriarch of Aquileia suggested a chapel be built right on the spot where the statue appeared, that is here, on Mount Lussari. Unfortunately there are no traces of the original chapel anymore. It was replaced by the current stone choir already in 1500.
Valbruna - Monte Lussari
The Stages of the Way
- Prologue: Barbana - Aquileia
- 1. Aquileia - Aiello del Friuli
- 2. Aiello del Friuli - Cormons
- 3. Cormons - Castelmonte
- 4. Castelmonte - Masarolis
- 5. Masarolis - Montemaggiore
- 6. Montemaggiore - Rifugio A.N.A.
- 6bis. Var. Montemaggiore - Val Torre
- 7. Rifugio A.N.A. - Prato di Resia
- 8. Prato di Resia - Dogna
- 9. Dogna - Valbruna
- 10. Valbruna - Monte Lussari